Saturday, April 12, 2008

Angel Food Ministries Food Review March 2008 Menu

This is a review of the menu items supplied in March of 2008 by Angel Food Ministries. This was the first month we purchased the plan. I would purchase again. Real "Foodies" will want to stay away from this plan but that isn't who it's intended for anyway. If you marinate and tenderize the meats, you can't go wrong for $30. I will participate in this again.

Hamburgers
. 6 burgers were cooked to perfection on our George Foreman grill. I didn't expect much as they seemed from their appearance to have a lot of fillers and the fat pan almost filled up with the 6 burgers. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the first bite. JUICY and tender. I ate 2. Needless to say, there weren't any leftovers. Would definitely purchase again.

Frozen Mixed Veggies
. Came packaged in clear plastic. No labeling. Microwaved in Pampered Chef Batter Bowl. Good color and flavor. Uniform in size. Would purchase again.

Borden Shelf-Stable Milk.
To me, there is something inherently wrong about boxed milk. However, this came in very handy when we ran out of jugged milk. Baby did not complain. Drank greedily as always. Nice thing to have on hand in a pinch.

Macaroni and Cheese.
Boxed. Hospitality brand. Stove preparation. Similar in quality to Kraft. Would purchase again.

Waffles.
Pillsbury brand frozen. Toaster prepared. No complaints.

Dessert Item.
Mrs. Smith's Apple Pie. Delicious consumed at room temperature. This had sugar crystals sprinkled on the top. High quality. Would definitely purchase again.

Boneless Pork Fillet.
Second meat item I cooked that was tough and dry. These meats are obviously cheaper cuts and I see now the need to marinate and tenderize. We are making the rest of the steaks the end on the month so I'll see then if that works. Disappointed.

Breaded Chicken Breast Strips.
Southern Style. Directions called only for deep frying but I baked on Pampered Chef large bar pan. Very tasty and crunchy. Nice change from the usual nuggets.

Marie Callender Chicken and Dumpling Soup.
Opened can. Dumped in bowl. Heated in microwave. Nothing very special. Nice big soft chunks of celery. Edible.

Frying Chicken Leg Quarters. Baked in the Pampered Chef rectangular deep baking dish. Very large. I wasn't expecting a lot after my latest disappointments but these turned out to be quite good. And there was enough left over to make a Chicken Noodle Casserole the next day.

5 lb. Thick Cut Rib Eye Steaks. Initial 2 were cooked Medium on George Foreman Grill. Very disappointing. These were very dry and tough. Will tenderize and marinate the other 6 the end of the month and update this post.

**UPDATE**The remainder of the rib eyes were tenderized with a meat cleaver and soaked in a marinade for 12 hours. Cooked up on the George Foreman because we were out of propane for the outdoor grill. SURPRISE SURPRISE They went from a F to a B- in quality! I think the Angel Meats just need a lot of TLC.

3 comments:

Martha said...

I've done the Angel Food twice now. Some stuff is really great, but so far the ribs and roast have been inedible. I thought maybe it was me since I'm not a good cook. I'm disappointed to read what you said about the pork loin since that's what I was going to cook tomorrow night. Well, I guess I still give it a go. I hope you'll review again.

Unknown said...

As an Angel Food 'regular' I found these comments very disconcerting. Perhaps it is because of "the cook." AFM's steaks, chops and chicken are some of the most tender I have ever had the good fortune to cook (and eat). Since George Forman's grill is NOT a cook's best tool, I would recommend a more traditional cooking method should you want better results.

thesecondmrssmith said...

Bernadette,
Thanks for the opinion. I must confess I am not a gourmet. But to tell the truth, the only meat I ever cooked from Angel Foods that did not need extra care was the hamburgers. That is not a complaint. To expect an extraordinary cut of meat for the $30 would be unreasonable. I am only warning folks with average cooking skills to give the meat a little extra attention.