Tuesday, November 2, 2010

through the valley

I drove past a yard sign for a local large non-denominational church today.  It promised a free book authored by a current preacher of the "prosperity" gospel to every first time attender.   This did not surprise me.  That's the version most people are comfortable with.  It's a lot easier to grow a mega church by telling people what they want to hear.

But...

Jesus promised us that we would suffer.  John 16:33: "In this world you will have tribulation. But be of good cheer, for I have overcome the world."

Jesus promised us that we would suffer, but he reminded us that it would only be temporary.  When I go through suffering I try to constantly remind myself of that.  And remind myself of what else I know to be true. 

I know God is unchanging.  I know He is all powerful and He loves me.   I know He is the only place I can put my trust and not be disappointed.

Even through the hard times.

Like last May when my obstetrician quietly explained 6 months into our pregnancy that our daughter wouldn't be joining our family as planned.  I was overwhelmed.  There was so much love and so many plans waiting for her.  A big a part of me wanted to put my fist through his ultrasound screen.  But through the tears that had already started rolling down my face, my response to him was calm.  "It's OK."

He seemed confused.

But he shouldn't have been.


Near the end of our first trimester we had faced some questionable test results.  I had told him at that time that we were prepared for whatever baby God had chosen to bless us with.  The news I heard that day shattered my heart but it did not change my mind.  For some reason He chose to bless us with a daughter who most likely wouldn't make it to the end of the pregnancy and if she did, she wouldn't live long enough to come home.


And that was OK.  I knew the heart of my Heavenly Father was breaking right along with mine.  And I knew He would hold me and shelter me through the storm that was coming.  And I trusted that there was a purpose in His allowing it to come.   

The story of Job was never my favorite but I find a lot of comfort there.  Job didn't just lose one infant daughter.  He lost every single one of his children, his livestock, his house and was afflicted with a horrible disease.  Although Job continually praise the Lord, he did want to know why??  God reminded him through a series of unanswerable questions what a great God He is and that there is never any way we will understand all of the whys. 

Particularly when they pertain to the tragic consequences of living in an fallen world.

Like imperfect kidneys in a little baby girl.


Should it be a goal for us as Christ Followers that when we are faced with suffering instead of asking the "Why?" that we are never going to understand, we can focus on the "Why not?"  Why should we not be blessed with suffering that is designed to bring us closer to and cause us to lean a little harder on Almighty God, the Creator of the Universe, the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end?  Why should we not be blessed with suffering that will glorify God?

Those are very hard questions.  Be comforted today by the promise that, in the life of the Christ Follower, God does work all things for our good and His glory. (Rm 8:28)

No comments: