Friday, February 17, 2012

in the kitchen with pop pop

I have so many special memories of George Olsen but my favorite is the time he taught me how to cook S.O.S. To the sailors that he cooked for onboard the destroyer the dish was called  $%#* on a Shingle but that wasn't acceptable language in my mom's kitchen.

It's a simple dish made of chipped beef, peas, and cream of mushroom soup but Pop Pop put much care into preparing it. The chipped beef was sliced thinly, the soup was diluted with just the right amount of milk, and the mixture was stirred gently so as not to mash the peas. The result was served over freshly toasted buttered bread.

Every time I prepare this for my kids we remember Pop Pop. I love it that it's something they are fond of too. Hopefully they will make it for their own kids and tell the story of my grandpa, a Navy cook and NYFD fireman.


S.O.S.

ingredients:
one package Buddig Beef
one can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
one can Green Giant peas and pearl onions(if unavailable, substitute plain peas)

Add thinly sliced beef and DRAINED can of peas to UNDILUTED soup in saucepan. Gently fold in about half a can of milk and bring to a low simmer. Serve on top of buttered toast.

YUM.

No comments: