Sunday, January 25, 2015

a pear by any other name...

FOLLOW UP: our tree is no dud. We pick pears after Halloween. They were juicy and yummy and filled the bed of the glass blocker's truck because I had no time to deal with them. He got cash and pears. Not a bad deal for a window. 


Original Post from September 2014
So we have a ginormous pear tree in our backyard. It is full of green pears. Squirrels are enjoying the crunchy pears. Us, not so much. I've done a lot of googling on how to ripen pears. I've asked everyone I know who might know how to ripen pears.


I've heard a lot of things:
  • Pick them all on Labor Day.
  • Set them on cardboard in the basement to ripen.
  • Don't pick too soon.
  • Don't pick too late.
  • They must be chilled before the ripening process will start.
  • Put them by ripe bananas.


My head is spinning from all the pear ripening information and I still am lacking one ripe pear.
Maybe our tree is a dud.


No comments: