Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Now why didn't I think of that?

Looking for something to read the other day, I pulled Be CentsAble by Chrissy Pate and Kristin McKee out of my husband's pile of library books. It suprised me that they recommended using wholesale clubs to save money as I have never found them much of a bargain. I renew my Sam's Club membership every year just to be able to purchase the commercial type paper towels that I need for daycare purposes. The authors were quick to point out that just by purchasing one item(milk) there, they save over $200 a year each.

Since we go through about 5 gallons of milk a week, I thought I would try this. Knowing that multiple trips to Sam's specifically for milk would offset my savings, I planned to follow their advice for stockpiling milk in the deep freezer. Kevin raised his eyebrows when I mentioned freezing the milk (being raised on a dairy farm makes one quite particular about milk)so our initial purchase was only 6 gallons. We will see how it goes.

I'm excited because if it works, I will be saving about $5 a week or $260 a year!!

No comments: