Thursday, April 14, 2011

carpool lane

I will very highly recommend my son's school to anyone willing to listen.  I love that they have master degreed teachers in every room.  I love that the ratio in his room is 1:5.  I love that they use technology like ipads to encourage the kids to go as far as they can.  I love that he is exposed to kids that are differently abled.  I love that one of the teachers brought in some baby ducks to share with the classrooms.  I love that they provide 5 day a week 3 hour a day play based learning experiences for the whole county on a sliding tuition scale.  I love that he walked in today to meet a butterfly newly emerged from her chrysalis.  I love the huge indoor gym and the bikes.

I do NOT love the carpool line.

I try to have patience.  I realize after participating in at least 6 different carpool lanes at schools in 2 different states that I have a lot more experience than some of the other moms.

The parent handbook attempts to make it very clear.

The note the head administrator sent home at the end of the first quarter made it even clearer.

They still don't listen.  So maybe we should spell out exactly what the carpool line is NOT for.

It is NOT for cornering your child's teacher just because it happens to be her day to help with carpool for a quick conference on how Johnny has been doing.  Believe it or not the teacher really isn't interested.  She's had a long day and is anxious to get her room closed up and home to her own family.  Shoot her a quick email or leave a voice mail and she will get back to you.  When it is convenient for you both.

It is NOT for chasing your kid down to wipe down his face or fix her hair.  If you can't take care of this one at home just let it go.  Preschoolers can get grimy.  And they aren't all that concerned with their appearances.  Teachers know this.

It is NOT for placing your car in park to make multiple trips into the building to unload classroom supplies. 

It is NOT for long conversations with your child about his day as you buckle him into the seat.  But be sure to get around to that.

It is NOT for rearranging items in your car.  If this is something you have a problem with, you are not going to be able to fix it in a few minutes a day.

It is NOT the place to get distracted talking on your cellphone or working a sudoku.  Especially when your bumper sticker says, "hang up and drive."

It is NOT for adding oil, windshield wiper fluid or other substances to your car.  Yes, I've actually seen this one.

Now that we got those NOTs out of the way, please place your child's booster or car seat in the most convenient position for the aides who are there to assist him in and out of the car.  Today, let them do their jobs and we'll ALL get home sooner.

No comments: