Monday, February 2, 2009

The Value of a Good Duffel Bag


I read a book a while back called Life in the Blender. One of the tips the author talks about is the issue of the kids "stuff" going back and forth. Her family had a large duffel bag they kept by the front door. It was for the things that needed to go back to the other house, or for the things the children want with them at each house.

I tried this for a few weeks with a bin that things could be tossed into. It had a lid and I kept it on the porch. This way it was the last thing the kids saw before they left and they could scoop out their possessions and be on their way. This seemed helpful but died a quick death when bio mom claimed "spiders are on the rise and I don't want spiders on their stuff."

My daughter has a friend who has to move back and forth each week. One week at mom's then one week at dad's. I asked her how she managed her things. Her solution is a super big suitcase. She keeps everything in there. All her clothes, toiletries, and personal items. She claims this is working great but I think it's sad she has to live out of a suitcase.

So, stepson got a duffel for a Christmas present and I noticed he had it packed to go back to mom's house. I'm not sure what was in it but I think it's great that he's finding a solution that works for him.

No comments: